Biyernes, Nobyembre 9, 2012

A Different Kind of Christmas...




Today is the 10th of November 2012, Saturday. I had to sacrifice half a day of salary so that I can attend a Christmas Tradition Seminar in our church in Victory Ortigas. It was very much worth the effort of waking up early and going to and fro Robinsons galleria, to the office, then later, back to Robinsons Galleria again for this week’s Saturday service.

Growing up, we never really celebrated Christmas that much. Here in the Philippines, I believe that the majority prepare more for the New Year’s celebration than the Noche Buena. Well at least in my family’s case, it’s like that. 

The short seminar talked about Christmas traditions that we can do, in order to celebrate the birth of Christ. And as a future wife, I believe the responsibility of providing that for my family is upon my shoulder (of course with my husband on the lead…Mind me, I think I was the only single person who attended the seminar! ) I want to pass on to the next generation after me, a series of Christmas traditions that will commemorate the birth of Christ and at the same time, build lasting Christmas memories. 

 

Pastor Ferdie Cabiling, gave a very short yet informative sermon about how the society has turned its focus towards other concerns during this season, rather than the real reason for celebration, which is the birth of our Lord and Savior.

When we speak of traditions, “a series of activities or practice” first come to mind. Putting up a Christmas tree, decorating the house, exchange of gifts, family reunion etc. These are only to name a few. According to Pastor Ferdie, there are good and bad traditions. For me, traditions define majority of the culture within a society. And the family is the fundamental structure of a society. So it’s good to start a tradition in the family that will run its practice over the next generations to come. 

Pastor Ferdie, mentioned something about “Good Human Values” during Christmas. These involve doing charity, giving of gifts and the likes. Of course these practice are good. But sometimes we tend to just divert most of our time doing these things and neglecting to read Bible stories about Christ’s birth, thanking God, or just  merely remembering the reason of the celebration,  which is Christ’s birthday.

Christmas is the season of giving. Now that I have come to know Christ, I understood why. This morning during the sermon, a realization came to my mind that Christmas has become the season of giving because Jesus was born. And He “GAVE” His life in order to save us. I believe that really is the “essence” of Christmas as a season of giving. 

Pastor Ferdie also mentioned something about Christmas “Consumerism”. Because often times, we exhaust ourselves and our time buying gifts and Christmas shopping. This has been part of the tradition all over the world. This is not something bad, because “giving” is not something bad. Let us just not forget why we are celebrating. 

During Christmas, I’ve heard of stories where people get drunk, party and celebrate for Christmas. But if the party is for Jesus birthday, I think He wouldn’t appreciate a party for Him where people get drunk. I think Jesus would want a birthday party, where people will remember Him and the reason He was born and sent by God. For without Him, all of us would still be slaves of sin.

A question kept on flashing on the projector on the wall – “How do you celebrate Christ’s birth”? I asked myself the same question and realized that I have not really had the time and opportunity to really celebrate His birthday!

Well, this 2012, I’m going to start having a different Christmas. A Christmas full of Joy and Hope, because Christ was born. 

A Christmas spent with loved ones and celebrated with the focus on Jesus, my savior, being born. . .
Happy Holidays Everyone!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento